Carol S. Johnson
|Title:||Chair, Department of Humanities|
|Office:||433 Cullimore Hall|
|Hours:||Monday through Friday 10:30-4:15|
As the coordinator of English 352, Technical Communication at New Jersey Institute of Technology, I have developed an analytic online portfolio assessment with Norbert Elliot. My main research areas are the history of technical communication and writing assessment. I have just finished writing a book, The Language of Work: Technical Communication at Lukens Steel, 1810-1925 which will be published by Baywood Press in January 2009.
- PhD, The City University of New York
- BA, Mount Holyoke College
Technical Communication (Engl. 352) Teaching Information
Resources and Forms
- "The Evolution of Illustrated Texts and its Effect on Science: an Example from the Early American State Geological Reports." Leonardo: Journal of the International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology, MIT Press, (41:2), 2008, pp. 120-127.
- " Site-Specific Content Management Systems: Analyze Before You Act." Book chapter with Susan Fowler, eds. George Pullman & Baotong Gu, Content Management: Bridging the Gap between Theory and Practice, Amityville, NY: Baywood Press, 2008, pp. 38-48.
- " The Steel Bible: A Case Study of 20th Century Technical Communication." Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, (37:3), 2007, pp. 281-303.
- " A Decade of Research: Assessing Change in the Technical Communication Classroom Using Online Portfolios." Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, (36:4), 2006, pp. 413-431.
- “The Analytic Assessment of Online Portfolios in Undergraduate Technical Communication: A Model.” Journal of Engineering Education, (95:4), 2006, pp. 279–287.
- “Prediscursive Technical Communication in the Early American Iron Industry.” Technical Communication Quarterly, (15:2), 2006, pp. 171–189.
- "Teaching Technical Communication in the Wired Classroom – the Transition from Blackboard to Computer Screen" with Frank Casale and Michael Kerley. ASEE Mid-Atlantic Conference Proceedings, April 2005.
- "Beyond Cut Scores: Portfolio Assessment in Program Evaluation" with Norbert Elliot. ASEE Mid-Atlantic Conference Proceedings, October 2004.
- “Colonial Travel and the Erskine Family.” Journal of the Orange County Historical Society, October 2004.
- “Developing Complex Sources,” “Content Management and Networks” and “Information and Order.” IEEE PCS Newsletter, November/December 2003.
- “Knowledge Management and the Teaching of Technical Communication: Where does knowledge Reside in the Theory vs. Practice Debate?” IPCC (International Professional Communication Conference) Proceedings, 2003.
- “The Birth of a Nation: Technical Communication and the American Revolution.” Journal of the Orange County Historical Society, October 2003.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- "The Oedipal Eliot, or, The Waste Land, a Complex Complex." Journal of Evolutionary Psychology. 8 (1993): 172-180.
- "´that hidden mysterie´: Sources of Misogyny in Donne´s Songs and Sonets." Journal of Evolutionary Psychology. 8 (1992): 195-203.
- "The Limbs of Osiris: Reed´s Mumbo Jumbo and Hollywood´s ´The Mummy´." Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States (MELUS), (17.4), 1992, pp. 105-115.
- "Constructing Machismo in ´Mean Streets´ and ´Raging Bull´." Perspectives on RAGING BULL ed. Steven Kellman. New York: G.K. Hall, 1994, pp. 95-106.