Born in Fayetteville, North Carolina, Norbert Elliot was raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. He attended Immaculate Heart of Mary elementary school and Brother Martin High School. He received both his BA and MA from the University of New Orleans and his Ph.D. from the University of Tennessee. He has taught at Mercer County Community College, Rider University, the College of New Jersey, and Texas A & M University at Commerce. Since 1988 he has been a member of the Department of Humanities at New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT).
His research and teaching interests cluster in the following areas: History, Practice, and Theory of Writing Assessment; Theory and Practice of Technical Communication; Biography; Theory and History of Environmental Rhetoric; Empirical Research Methods; Technology and Education.
He is married to Frances Ward, Ph.D., Professor and Founding Dean of the UMDNJ School of Nursing. Their dinner table is graced with the company of their eight children: Christian, Kathryn, James, Luke, Sarah, Jesse, Nicholas, and Sophia. From time to time, each works, lives, and plays at the Jersey Shore.
- PhD in English, University of Tennessee
- MA in English, University of New Orleans
- BA in English, University of New Orleans
Recent Grants Awarded
A Community Research Model for Assessment of Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication. Funding Source: Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication. Focus Area: Asynchronous Graduate Program Assessment. Dates: August 2006-August 2007. Role: Co-PI. Funding: $500.
Sloan Corporate-University Non-Credit ALN Training Demonstration Project. Funding Source: Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. Focus Area: Asynchronous Current Best Manufacturing Practice. Dates: January 2006-June 2006. Role: PI. Funding: $11,000.
Conducting and Documenting Investigations at Cardinal Health. Funding Source: Cardinal Health. Role: PI for Design and Instruction. Focus Area: National and International Training Sites. Dates: October 2005-2006. Role: PI. Funding: $100,000.
Science Technology, and Society 307: Fundamentals of Research in Science, Technology, and Society
English 302: Communication Theory
Literature 330: World Literature I--North America; Latin America and the Caribbean; Australia and Oceania
Literature 331: World Literature II--Europe; Asia; Africa and the Middle East
Communication 351: Documentary Studies
- Welcome Letter
- Michele McGahhey, A Woman in War
- Andre Preoteasa, Downtown Jersey City Waterfront Development: A Community
- Robert Hendricks, A Documentary Study of Arab and Muslim Men in Passaic County, NJ
- Jasmine Raefort, NJIT Seniors
Professional and Technical Communication 624: Professional and Technical Editing
Professional and Technical Communication 640: Health Communication
Professional and Technical Communication 642: Corporate Communication
- Theory and practice of writing assessment
- Theory and practice of communication
- Theory and history of environmental rhetoric
- Cognitive complexity theory
- Technology and education, and policy
Norbert Elliot. On A Scale: A Social History of Writing Assessment. New York: Peter Lang, 2005. Recipient, Conference on College Composition and Communication, Outstanding Book Award, 2007; Recipient, Stephen P. Witte Award for Writing Assessment Scholarship, 2005.
- "Elizabeth Bishop." A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Poetry. Ed. Burt Kimmelman. New York: Facts on File, Inc. 2005. 45-47.
- "Delmore Schwartz." A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Poetry. Ed. Burt Kimmelman. New York: Facts on File, Inc. 2005. 447-448.
- "Gerald Stern." A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Poetry. Ed. Burt Kimmelman. New York: Facts on File, Inc. 2005. 476.
Recent Journal Articles
- Norbert Elliot, Vladmir Briller, Kamal Joshi. “Analytic Portfolio Assessment: A Program Development Model.” Journal of Writing Assessment 3.1 (2007): 5-30.
- Nancy Coppola and Norbert Elliot. “A Technology Transfer Model for Program Assessment in Technical Communication.” Technical Communication 54.4 (2007): 1-16.
- Davida Scharf, Norbert Elliot, Heather Huey, Vladimir Briller, Kamal Joshi. “Direct Assessment of Information Literacy Using Writing Portfolios.” The Journal of Academic Librarianship 33.4 (2007): 462-478.
- Nancy Coppola and Norbert Elliot. "Big Science or Bricolage: Notes Toward an Alternative Model for Research in Technical Communication."IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication 48.3 (2005): 261-68. Recipient, 2006 Rudolph J. Joenk, Jr., Award for Outstanding Paper Published in IEEE Transactions on Professional and Technical Communication.